Frankly, I’m not sure what to make of this article. First a few highlights for those who don’t like to read:
1) Clarence Ervin is a known panhandler on the Lake Street Elevated portion of the Green Line
2) This man has been arrested 178 Times (not all for panhandling).
3) Charges have been dropped around 130 Times
4) He’s been charged about 25% of time (often without him present)
5) Some Riders are scared of him, some are not
6) He averages about $55 a day panhandling.
Like I said, I’m not sure where to begin. Do we blame him? Do we blame the police and court system? Do we blame Veteran’s Affairs? Should I get into panhandling? Do we blame those who keep giving him money? Do we blame the CTA?