2008: International Year of the Potato
I totally dropped the ball on this one. Here we are, 3 months into 2008, and I’m just now finding out that it has been the U.N. International Year of the Potato this whole time.
So, to celebrate, I give you a menagerie of Solanum tuberosum related facts and images. Pommes frites!
– The potato is the second most consumed food in the U.S., behind milk.
– There’s a potato research centre in Fredricton, N.B.
– The name “potato” is derived from the Indian word “batata.”
– A potato is around 80% and 20% solid – much like me.
– Mr. Potato Head was invented by George Lerner in 1952.
– This guy made a really big potato gun. And his business is for sale.
In retrospect, this isn’t nearly as amusing as I thought it was. I’m just going to stop. I’m all hopped up on cold medicine, my head weighs a ton (kinda like Mr. Potato Head) and I’d rather go hang out with my condo mate. Bye!